Confession – I totally blew my food budget today. Radically and utterly. Instead of wallowing in guilt and legalism I’ve decided to make this soup for dinner tonight and reign it in a little.
Chocolate is always cheaper than therapy, I suppose 🙂
serves 6 ±R4 per portion. Wheat-free.
Broccoli is one of the healthiest veggies available. It’s really hard to prepare it in a way that my kiddies will eat it – give this soup a try, my kids love it.
1. Scrub and quarter 2 medium potatoes (skins on). Wash and slice 2 carrots (skins on). Chop 1 large onion.
2. Add blob of butter to pot and fry onions over low heat. Add carrots and potatoes.
3. Cut off stalks of broccoli from 1 big broccoli head and add to pot. Keep florets aside for later.
4. Pour in 1 liter vegetable or chicken stock and 1/8th tsp dried origanum (or mixed herbs) and simmer for 30-40mins until tender.
5. Blend/blitz with hand-blender. Stir in 2 cups of milk, salt to taste, ground pepper to taste and 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
6.Cook over low heat for 15 mins.
7. Add florets and cook till tender (about 5 mins). Blend again to utterly hide vegetables from the kids.
Yum.Yum. Thanks to my very good friend and chef Estelle for this recipe!